Biological Resources manager
Sapphos Environmental, Inc. is currently seeking a full-time Manager in the Biology Department to work under the direction of the Director of the Biology Department. The candidate must have excellent supervisory and management experience and the ability to cultivate professional business relationships. The ideal candidate will have a professional demeanor; be detail oriented; possess strong organizational, marketing, and financial skills; and have the ability to manage multiple people, projects, and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strategic Planning: Under the supervision of the Biological Resources Director, assist in the development and implementation of strategic plans for the biological resources department.
- Business Development and Marketing: Identify and review requests for proposals and qualifications, write and review scopes of service, cost estimates, and schedules for statements of qualifications, proposals, sub-contract agreements. Develop and maintain professional business relationships, participate in business outreach, participate in company and department presentations, and secure contract work.
- Leadership Development: Mentor staff in the skills and knowledge required for effective biological consulting. Identify and cultivate employees that display leadership potential. Provide oversight to staff.
- Supervision and Management: Supervise and manage employees and teams in the Biology Department. Mentor, manage, train, and assist biologists to ensure department goals are met within established timelines. Review work products, provide guidance on technical projects, ensure staff comply with company policies and procedures.
- Project Management: Provide guidance on project and contract management, attend strategic planning sessions with clients, understand and articulate the status of all projects and contracts under biological resources.
- Technical Expertise: Educate clients and staff in all core competencies for resource management: State and Federal Endangered Species Acts, California Fish and Game Code, Natural Resource Scientific Literature, and databases, basic survey techniques, southern California plant communities, identification of general plant and wildlife resources. Must also have a working knowledge of CEQA, NEPA and other applicable federal, state and local statues and regulations.
- Research: Literature, Archival, Database, Interviews, Internet, Contact Report Forms, Species Accounts, References, Meeting and Scoping Notices and Multi-subject Memoranda for the Record (MFR), Assist with Technical Reports, and Annual Reports. Must be able to research peer-reviewed professional literature and grey literature. Demonstrate familiarity with wildlife literature and resources related to Southern California, including Endangered and Threatened species.
- Degree in Biology, Botany, Environmental Sciences, Ecology or other related field preferred, with at least 5 years of experience in environmental consulting or regulatory agency
- Supervisory experience
- Proven record of securing contract work
- Knowledgeable in contract management
- Knowledge of southern California plant and wildlife communities
- Experience with CEQA and NEPA
- Location: Pasadena, CA
- Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, 401k, life and AD&D insurance, continued education/training allocation, public transportation sponsorship, generous holiday and vacation package.
Please forward your resume and writing sample to email@example.com Include the job title Biological Resources Manager in the subject line of your e-mail.